Date : March 16, 2023
- Mount Merapi, located on the border between the Indonesian province of Central Java and the Special Region of Yogyakarta, began to erupt on Saturday March 11, 2023, spewing smoke, ash, and volcanic pyroclastic flow.
- Ash rain was reported to hit a number of areas in Magelang, Boyolali, Temanggung, Wonosobo and Banjarnegara regencies.
- Authorities have told nearby residents to avoid the area within a seven-kilometer radius of the crater.
The Sleman district government together with the community responded to the contingency facilitated by the DIY DRR Forum and RedR Indonesia with the support of UNICEF. In 2020, a child-friendly Mount Merapi Eruption Contingency Plan was produced in response to it, and it has been re-adapted based on Covid-19 protocols.
The Merapi volcanic eruption has not caused contingency planning activities yet, but it has boosted readiness both in the Kalurahan government and by potentially affected community members, namely (1) Tunggu Arum Wonokerto; (2) Ngandong and Tritis Girikerto; (3) Turgo Purwobinangun.
A check list to assess village preparedness for Mount Merapi’s eruption, information, communication, education activities on the current situation, and mediation of mining activities are some of the additional steps still needed to complete the contingency plan’s implementation.
The BPPTKG technical study’s findings indicate that the possible severity of the Merapi volcano threat varies depending on the time period. It is necessary for contingency plans to be continuously used and updated based on the current situation. These plans must consider factors such as volcanic activity, pandemic conditions that have become endemic, and changes in the location of refugee barracks.
Contact: Girindra Pradana (Progam Officer of RedR Indonesia) +6281329788810 and Catherine Pamela +6285291429033 (Marketing Communication of RedR Indonesia)
- FPRB DIY coordination meeting with BPBD Sleman, at Pakem Main Post
- Documents on the activity of Mount Merapi by the Geological Agency of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources